Monday, January 31, 2011

The Magic of Art

While at BETT, in London, I had the opportunity to see a lot of different software programs. One that stands out is called Grid Magic and is developed by Q4 Technologies. Grid Magic is a fun Windows-based art program. There are two easy to use versions, Junior (ages 4-8) and Senior (ages 8 and up) and can be used with either a touch screen or mouse. Once I test it with a switch and a desktop scanning program, I’ll let you know how it works as I can see this being an incredible art program for switch users.
Jane, the CEO of Q4 Technologies showed me the program but not until I was able to actually play with it did I truly see how fun and addicting it can be. The user starts with a simple grid and fills in squares with different colors. Each of the additional steps (Art Work, Mosaic and Presentation) allows the user to design beautiful patterned artwork that can be saved or printed. In the Senior edition, the students can use their newly created design for websites, greeting cards, textile work and much more.
To read more about Grid Magic go to: www.gridmagic.com and also watch videos showing how it is being used in classrooms in the UK.
Grid Design Page


One of the fun art designs I created using the Junior edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment